Saturday, May 24, 2008

There must always be a beginning.

Hello, to whomever might read this (Did I use "whom" correctly? I've always wanted to be able to use that word properly but have always been a bit confused as to how it's done - I'm a sorry excuse for an English major.) Anyway, I will make this brief because I don't have much to say and I have things to do.  

Alright...Okay...Here I go...So whenever some kind of new web-community thing (I can't think of the technical term; but stuff like: xanga, myspace, facebook, this thing) pops up and becomes popular, I begin to feel this internal resistance to join. I don't know why - maybe it's because naturally I tend to be skeptical about things that sprout immediately and simultaneously in everyone's minds with so much popularity and praise; it's my pathetic ego doing its work, telling me I can't follow the crowd, that I have to be unique! Take for example, Swirl: I don't know how many people have told me their lives have been dramatically changed for the better ever since they've gone - a lot of people -the best frozen yogurt they say.  I listen to everyone's praise of the place and to their emphatic suggestions that I ought to go, but again I undoubtedly find that little voice of skepticism saying to me, "It can't be as good as they are saying. It just can't."  The irony is that it is probably as good as everyone makes it out to be, I'm just too dumb to actually go there and try. However, I suppose there is some legitimacy to it  - I mean, it's impossible to keep up and follow every trend, and, by any means, every trend is definitely not worth following. But there's more to it than that. Going back to web-spheres: the funny thing is I inevitably give in to these kind of trends, just like I will inevitably give in to Swirl, because when it comes down to it, I like frozen yogurt, and that's all that matters; and I suppose I like these things too, because I always end up making one.  I guess what I am trying to say is this: even though I am a natural skeptic, and I suppose a lot of people are, I'm not a fan of skepticism; it makes a rotten heart. And it robs you of so much joy. I think of "Lost", and "The Office", and "Harry Potter", and "Coldplay", and even Christianity - all these things, which at one point I was skeptical about, have brought me a tremendous amount of joy, especially Christianity. So when I go back to Riverside, I'm going to go to Swirl. 

So there it is. I don't know if each entry is supposed to have some kind of life-lesson integrated into it, but nonetheless, there is one: don't be too skeptical. Or better yet, don't be cynical; I suppose one needs to employ some kind of skepticism in order to stay healthy.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. I guess it wasn't as brief as I thought it would be. I plan on posting poems and the like on here for feedback. I'm working on a couple now; so there should be a new entry in the next couple of days or so, hopefully with a poem or two to share. 

Signing out, 
With Love and Peace,
john

Reading list:
Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis
The Holiness of God - R.C. Sproul
The October Country - Ray Bradbury

2 comments:

Keith said...

Did you go to swirl? And what did you think? I think it's a pretty good trend to be a part of if you have to be a part of one.

john sachs said...

I haven't gone yet. But I want to go still.