Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Week of Poetry. Day 1: Mary Oliver - Mindful

In commemoration of something, anything. (I have yet to decide exactly what) How about: in commemoration of the fact that giraffes display unusually long and beautiful necks and that people are simultaneously being born and are dying, even as I type this, I have decided that everyday, for the next 6-7 days, I will post a poem, written by someone other than me, that I have not yet familiarized myself with. My first choice happens to be a poem from Mary Oliver. And her poem, written in 2004, is entitled, "Mindful". I hope you enjoy it like I have enjoyed it so far. I don't know why I decided to start this on a Thursday night...

Mindful

Every day
I see or I hear
something
that more or less

kills me
with delight,
that leaves me
like a needle

in the haystack
of light.
It is what I was born for - 
to look, to listen

to lose myself
inside this soft world -
to instruct myself
over and over

in joy, 
and acclamation.
Nor am I talking 
about the exceptional,

the fearful, the dreadful,
the very extravagant - 
but of the ordinary,
the common, the very drab,

the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar,
I say to myself,
how can you help

but grow wise
with such teachings
as these - 
the untrimmable light

of the world,
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass?  

No comments: