Friday, April 10, 2009

I am a resident of this strange place we call Earth.











Thus, existentialism's first move is to make every man aware of what he is and to make the full responsibility of his existence rest on him. And when we say that a man is responsible for himself, we do not only mean that he is responsible for his own individuality, but that he is responsible for all men.
-  Jean-Paul Sartre

I don't agree with everything this man has to say - namely that God does not exist. But I do think he has some important insights regarding what it ultimately means to be a human being, and this brief life we have on Earth. Another quote I have come to appreciate by him reads: "The only way to determine the value of this affection is, precisely, to perform an act which confirms and defines it." How do I know there is any value in the affection I have for God? - simple, I act upon that affection, and by acting I am confirming and defining that affection. 

Have a blessed Good Friday! May His face shine upon you!

love john


 

No comments: